Sunday, October 6, 2013

MCA Visit: Daniel Clowes


















When I entered the Daniel Clowes exhibit at MCA Chicago I wasn't expecting the content of his work.  When I some some of his work before I entered the gallery I thought he was an comic artist that drew trippy things, example photo number two.  Clowes seems to have a comical dark side on life.  When I look at his character designs most of them have frowns and look sad or nervous.  The character designs of Clowes are quite creepy like in my third photo, it seems he likes to put a lot of shadows around the face to make certain parts pop out.  The eyes of men characters sometimes are just simple ovals while woman characters seem to have more of a realistic eye style.  I've also noticed a lot of nudity and sexual themes in his work, one of his strips was a ex couple who got back together and had sex and wants to know what the child's gender was because the wife was pregnant before they divorced, which I thought was funny in a mean way.

For some of Clowes work he likes to make up a fantasy world in the beginning where everyone is nice, but then ends the comic by bringing it back to the harsh reality of the world which in a way is the punch line.  Then he just does some comics that are just humorous like the ninth photo two guys playing paper basketball and one of them says penis in hopes he messes up.

Clowes panel lay out varies from 1, 6, to even 24 panels on one page, but depends on what he is working on.  Usually I'm seeing three rows of three panels in his comic set up.

In all the visit was very interesting and humorous for me, I'm starting to look into his work more, and I just recently learned that Clowes' comic Ghost World was turned into a movie which I may think of watching.

1 comment:

  1. Read the comic before seeing the movie! Art School Confidential is another comic of his turned movie.

    ReplyDelete